Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Nov 2011 08:14:09 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: refrigerator, firewall fuel fitting and winter gasoline
Comments: To: Tim Englund <tim.englund@GMAIL.COM>

Th ---- Tim Englund <tim.englund@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > The van is now stored for the winter in my garage. We have snow and > highs in the 20's. This makes it hard to test the fridge. Guess I > thought I'd hear it "pop" on like the mini fridge in my office. In any > case, the fridge is the least of my worries....

The refrigerator won't pop when it comes on. Propane burning is silent. So is an electrical resistance heater. There is a lamp under the sink, a vertical row of 4. The bottom one indicates the propane refrigerator is operating.

> My biggest worry: I've got gas leaking like crazy from the end of the > plastic piece in the firewall by the engine. It definitely wasn't > leaking when I drove her up from LA the other week. I'm wondering if > the cold has anything to do the problem. I'll change out the fuel > lines completely come spring,

Don't start the engine without making the fuel line changes, and most importantly, bypassing the firewall fitting (it is unnecessary). Most bypass it by just running fuel line through the hole with a rubber grommet, but some simply run the fuel line around the bottom of the firewall. Folks argue on here about it, but all agree that the fitting is simply a firestarter that should be eliminated.

but I just filled the tank for winter > and 16 gallons is a lot of gas to dispose of! :)

Hmmm..... . I used to fill the tank on any vehicle that was going to sit a while. Others say to deplete the tank to avoid having "stale" fuel. I guess it depends on how long the vehicle will sit. Old fuel does accumulate products that make it nasty in the fuel system. Sometimes the reason a vehicle won't start is because it sat with fuel in the tank. Fresh fuel makes the difference.

mcneely