Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Nov 2011 01:44:03 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Hard starting when cold 2.1 WBX
Comments: To: "greentabe-vanagon@yahoo.com" <greentabe-vanagon@YAHOO.COM>

Just a wild guess, but maybe your cat is starting to restrict exhaust airflow??

DM&FS

At 12:18 AM 11/15/2011, greentabe-vanagon@yahoo.com wrote: >It's easier to post than go outside and actually work on this -- >it's expected to get close to freezing tonight! (I know, some of >you are laughing at me) I haven't fully finished troubleshooting, >but here goes anyway: My relatively new-to-me stock 2.1 has trouble >starting when cold but runs fine when warmed up. I usually crank >for 5-10 seconds, stop, and do it again. I might have to do this 3 >or 4 times before it actually starts. When it does eventually >start, it runs sort of OK for a few seconds, then slowly starts to >miss more and more until it conks out. Rinse and repeat. I'm >pretty familiar with how the Digifant FI is supposed to work and >have checked the temperature 2 sensor and idle control systems, >which appear to operate normally. Idle switch clicks but I haven't >checked for continuity yet. So what I see is that the FI gives an >extra squirt of fuel for a bit, which eventually allows the engine >to start once enough unburnt fuel is present, and as that fuel burns >off and the FI leans the mixture, the engine dies. Adding some >quick start helps. Once warmed for a minute or so, the engine runs >fine at idle but dies under throttle until fully warm. >Suggestions? How come the FI is not enriching the mixture >enough? Something else going on? tabe johnson_90MV