Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Nov 2011 09:53:36 -0800
From:         Al Knoll <anasasi@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: GoWesty's Gear Reduction Starter
Comments: To: Karl Mullendore <tdiguru@westyventures.com>

Karl and All,

Perhaps I was misunderstood. No 'bad press' or ad hominem attacks intended.

Your adapter as I mentioned works fine after the fitting, some of which you note on your website. No complaints.

I have an SVX installation, the reason to try the TDI starter of course.

Two starters failed, neither failure was related to the adapter or the installation near as I can tell in retrospect. Both were BOSCH TDI starters as recommended by you personally so I have no beef with your guidance or your products.

BOSCH manufacturing and quality control is another story, well told in my previous note.

As to any all all 'bad press' I've read in this thread: 1) BenT - get off your duff and either send this adaptor back for examination, or track down a real TDI starter (unless you have verified the one you have is in fact a TDI starter, by the Bosch number stamped on it) 2) Al: there is only a tiny relief that needs to be filed to clear the original VW upper starter bolt-head, which should be a round socket-head bolt. There is not sufficient room to allow for a full size nut on a stud, which is likely what you attempted - resulting in lots of grinding. On the automatic version adaptor, I have been able to recess the hole so that either the original upper bolt or a stud w/nut can be used. Also, perhaps the starters you received were not well rebuilt, or some of the crap aftermarket copies that I've seen disintegrate quickly.