Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Nov 2011 18:29:35 -0800
From:         jhlauterbach <jhlauterbach@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      More troublingshooting information from DeLand, FL

NOTE: My Son, age 13, is with me. He knows the Vanagon will eventually be his so I am taking this opportunity to teach how to troubleshoot the 1.9 L engine.

Since my earlier post, we have done the following:

AFM: connected it to the FI cable and measured electrical resistance at connector to ECU as outlined in the DIGIJET manual. All resistance values in specification and smooth increase in resistance as wiper is moved.

IDLE STABILIZER: Bypassed it. No difference in bad performance.

FUEL FLOW: Removed screw cap from fuel Tee. Put a length of fuel-line tubing over the tee and had Son crank the engine. Fuel flow far in excess of 500 mL/minute, and engine started while fuel flowing into collection container. Think I have ruled out issues with fuel filter and fuel pump.

O2-sensor: Disconnected it. No difference in bad performance as expected since ECU bypasses senor when engine is started.

DISTRIBUTOR: Removed cap and checked underside for evidence of carbon-tracking. Perfectly clean so surmise that ignition control module is okay.

PLANS FOR TOMORROW MORNING: Cap off all vacuum connection except one to power brake and one to fuel pressure regulator. If no luck, will call roadhaus recommended shop here in Deland and see if owner will let me have AAA tow van to his shop. Already have Hertz rental lined up to get back to Macon.

Anything else I should check?

John