Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Nov 2011 11:04:11 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stealth Camping in Las Vegas
Comments: To: David Vickery <david_vickery@yahoo.com>

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 10:29 AM, David Vickery <david_vickery@yahoo.com>wrote:

> That is a pretty park. I've driven through it, but I prefer primitive > camping. Along Lake mead is fairly unrestricted recreation land that you > can camp free for 14 days at a time. You can drive down dirt roads that > come out at the lake where you can literally camp 10 feet from the water if > you want to. Sand stone going down into the water, nice views, wildlife, > few people, and about 20 minutes from North Las Vegas. > > > --- On Fri, 11/25/11, John Carpenter <yacoltyayhoo@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >

FWIW...The Lake Mead National Rec. Area, which includes Mead and Mojave down to almost Laughlin...that is supposed to be the most intense law enforcement area to work, according to some of my Ranger buddies.

I have never been intimidated there, but I do avoid the areas closest in to Las Vegas as potential trouble spots. I did once come close to fighting with a very strange RV guy at Lake Mojave when camped. He pulled up and started his generator not 5 feet from where we...2 vans with tents...were sitting at an evening campfire enjoying the sunset and the peace and quiet...He parked so that his generator (Onan, very obnoxious) exhaust was actually blasting right in our faces. When my wife went and knocked on his door to ask him to perhaps find a better spot that was not already occupied and/or at least turn his rig around to point the exhaust and noise away from our gathering....he began swearing at her, and threatening her...