Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Nov 2011 11:22:09 -0500
From:         Tom Torrella <ttorrella4@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Advice request; 1986 Vanagon automatic
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Well put Dennis. We've had our '83 and relied on a local mechanic in Naples, FL for all the work, engine & tranny rebuild and still have issues. On the road you have to learn how to make repairs or find help. Am tempted to put a FORD logo on the front instead of VW as it seems to need 'fix or repair daily!' This website offers a source of many numbers to people in the VW group. http://www.type2.com/rescue/ We're traveling now and enjoying our winter jaunts without A/C. Summers in Florida are too hot & very humid for long hauls though we prop a small cheapo ac unit from Lowe's. Works great for sleeping. The refridge works great on an inverter with a deep cycle marine battery wired to the main post off the alternator when traveling, and we switch over to ac in campgrounds. But it's way too small so I'm looking to buy a new fridge from www.truckfridge.com seems pretty reasonable. Before spending large sums on tires & wheels make sure it's in great running condition mechanically - new hoses, lines, etc. At 25 yrs old they all are brittle, dry rotten inside out. Good luck on your adventure. Tom T