Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Nov 2011 19:00:57 -0500
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: vanagon syndrome strikes...advice?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Many Vanagons don't have an O2 sensor heater. Where used, the O2 heater is only there to bring the sensor up to operating temperature faster, so that it will put out proper emissions sooner than a vehicle that doesn't have this heater. The older 1-wire sensors (which don't have the heater) may only have a deflector clipped onto the sensor body (if it's still there), to keep the cool breeze, water, etc. off of the sensor while driving. A newer 3-wire sensor has an additional ground wire to provide a better ground for both the heater circuit as well as a more consistently reliable signal from the sensor. A rusty, old exhaust system is the only ground for the older models. You can easily add a newer 3-wire sensor to an older vehicle. This would assist proper running and emissions better than the old 1-wire version. You just need to add fused 12V ignition positive (coil +?) to power the heater's 2nd wire and chassis ground negative nearby, to get the added benefits if the newer, better style.

Mike B.

-----Original Message----- From: Dennis Haynes Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2011 9:45 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: vanagon syndrome strikes...advice?

In my opinion "Vanagon Syndrome" is a myth. It always comes down to an O2 sensor or circuit problem. Capacitors and active harness gizmos may slightly max or hide it but the problem is not fixed until that O2 sensor issue is corrected.

One thing that never gets mentioned is the O2 sensor heater. You need to make sure it is working. You need to make sure that it is not open and that near 12 volts is there with it connected. I have seen wiring issues where the plug has 12 volts with the sensor disconnected but due to a bad wire in the harness it drops off once the sensor is plugged in.

The sensor is almost like a battery. It works via a chemical reaction. I have witnessed the sensor working fine most of the time and then during a long trip it begins to fail to produce voltage. Run away rich here we come (the Syndrome). Stop for a while and then it works OK and after some time "it's happening again".

The sensor placement is really in a bad location. It is not in a consistently hot part of the exhaust. It is exposed to a lot of cooling air. It's sprayed-contaminated with rain, salt, road dirt and everything else coming right off that left rear tire. What were they thinking? Then we add some poor wiring that corrodes and combine some grounds and it a wonder things work at all.

The only Vanagon uniqueness here is how often it plagues us.

Dennis

So a quick update...I unplugged the O2 sensor (thanks Angus) and the problem went away - so I changed out the sensor and she ran perfect all day. Maybe I had vanagon syndrome *and* bad O2 sensor...who knows...but we are back in happy camper-land. Love this list... David

Sent from my Android