Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Nov 2011 17:38:31 -0800
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Vegas, Valley of Fire, Vanagons

Hi Volks,

First off, Valley of Fire ROCKS!!!  Yes, do it in your Vanagon.  Entrance fee is $10, camping with hot showers is another $10; ranger campfire talk with SMores is free.  I'm ranking the afternoon ramble especially through the Petrograph Region very high on my list; but it's a spring/fall kind of thing, so plan accordingly.  Yesterday was a delight.

Vegas...oof..what a crazy place.  I hightailed it out of there today after lunch (Saturday);  well, the I-15 to Los Angeles was bumper to bumper for about 40 miles....and still is as I write this from McDonalds,  Primm Nevada, used to be called Stateline, which it is.  Lots of cussing heard at the gas station....  A normal 90 minute drive will take 4.5 hours (Primm to Baker)...ugly out there if you have a normal car.

So here is the Vanagon part.  Even though I had hoped to make it back to San Diego tonight, I don't care! I'm clean and safe and will be well fed soon, and I will enjoy a pleasant night in my Vanagon.  I'm in the McDonalds lot close enough to get wi-fi, so I guess that's the entertainment for tonight.

Key point I guess is the versatility of this vehicle.  On this trip, got me safely from San Diego to great stealth camping at the Trop...cana in Vegas.  Then a cool drive and hiking and Camping in the Valley of Fire.  Next, it provided the rescue to a bleak, frustrating, and mechanism-wearing situation on the freeway back to Los Angeles and San Diego. Oh yeah, it fits in my garage, is paid for since Day 1 (ok, it was used), chicks dig it, drinks modest gasoline, and can..blend...in..anywhere...the main purpose of this post.  ...as I type this adjacent to McDonalds in Primm, Nevada.  Whou'da figured this 30 years ago?

Hope your Thanksgiving weekend is also going as well.

Rich San Diego