Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Nov 2011 19:06:18 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Newbie question about auxiliary power-Battery vent hoses
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Dennis, I don't know when the campers started having the hose fittings, but they have them. What model is your camper?

I have no idea who makes the Bosch batteries, but I never said that Bosch made them. I only said that that was the only brand I found with the nipples. mcneely

---- Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: > I owned my Westy since new. The original battery did not have a hose. I don't recall ever seeing a Vanagon or Westy with a factory installed vent or drain hose. Audi 5000s, 100, 200 and later with the battery under the rear seat had the hoses. Most likely the hose is really there to drain acid out of the interior in the event of an overcharge or shorted cell induced boil over. I have seen replacement batteries with and without the tube provisions. Sometimes a, nipple, an oval shaped fitting. Sometimes both side have a plug that needs to be removed to take a hose nipple. Depends on luck. > > I doubt Bosch is actually making their own batteries. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Dave Mcneely > Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 5:54 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Newbie question about auxiliary power > > ---- Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@mac.com> wrote: > > Last few years of Interstate batteries have vents on the battery. > > I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Almost all batteries have vents (there are sealed batteries). I looked at an interstate battery for my van this summer. The battery had vents, but not nipple vents to which a vent hose could be fitted. The vented gas just vents to outside the battery case, but in a compartment like that on the vanagon, the gas would then accumulate in the compartment. The same was true of the WalMart, the NAPA, and the Autozone batteries. Only the Bosch battery had nipples to fit the vent hose on. Others had vents, but not the nipples. they had a rectangular in cross section shaped vent on each end of the battery. > > mcneely > > > > On Nov 22, 2011, at 11:51 AM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > > > > > ---- Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: > > >> Why do you think Napa batteries are better? Both made by Johnson Controls. > > > > > > FWIW, neither the NAPA nor the WalMart battery marketed as the correct battery for the Vanagon has nipple vents for connection to vent hoses, supposedly required for batteries that are fitted into the interior of a vehicle. International'f offering does not either. The only battery I found that does is Bosch, sold at Pep Boys. I know that some don't think this matters, but I guess I like to have things like they are "supposed" to be for anything where an engineer thought it mattered for safety. I guess I don't know enough to be willing to act contrary to the engineer's opinion. And yes, I realize that some decisions at the design level are for CYA reasons. But why is the engineer trying to CHA? > > > > > > mcneely > > > > > >> > > >> Dennis > > >> > > >> -----Original Message----- > > >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On > > >> Behalf Of MICHAEL H > > >> Sent: Monday, November 21, 2011 5:46 PM > > >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > >> Subject: Re: Newbie question about auxiliary power > > >> > > >> ... yeah, Don, NAPA batts are better. as for local SprawlMart - > > >> last year's reason to live/love to hate them was no layaway. this > > >> year it's `NO Overnight RV Parking' `Git er done' somewhere else ... > > >> > > >> --- On Mon, 11/21/11, Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > >> > > >>> From: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> > > >>> Subject: Re: Newbie question about auxiliary power > > >>> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > >>> Date: Monday, November 21, 2011, 1:57 PM If you are in a small > > >>> town, try NAPA...they have pretty good battery waranty program and > > >>> there are more NAPA stores than Mall Worts...I've been using those > > >>> batts for about 3yrs....only had to buy one, the others are > > >>> replaced free when I 'use them up' pretending they are Deep Cycles > > >>> in my extended winter camping trips... > > >>> Don Hanson > > >>> > > >>> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Tim Englund > > >>> <tim.englund@gmail.com> > > >>> wrote: > > >>> > > >>>> Wow, thanks all!!! > > >>>> I've ordered the parts and, if they come in time, plan > > >>> to brave a very > > >>>> cold shop over the weekend. > > >>>> The aux battery has been removed and will be replaced > > >>> the next time I > > >>>> get into a city big enough for a Wal-Mart. :) Hopefully no epic > > >>>> stories will follow.... > > >>>> -Tim > > >>>> > > >>>> > > >>> > > > > > > -- > > > David McNeely > > > > -- > David McNeely >

-- David McNeely