Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Nov 2011 02:16:15 -0500
From:         Michael Snow <slowmachine82@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westy Weighed... Setting Corner Spring Rates
Comments: cc: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

On 11/27/2011 08:35 PM, Don Hanson wrote: > > > On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Michael Snow <slowmachine82@gmail.com > <mailto:slowmachine82@gmail.com>> wrote: > > I have the same problem, and would like to do something about it. > > T > What could be done to equalize the left and right loads at each end, > enabling the van to sit and ride level, while using matched springs on > each side and providing more neutral handling? If you could decrease > the right front load, the left rear load should also decrease without > leaning to the left, no? > > Mike > > > Since ride height is not adjustable with stock Vanagon suspension...I > used some aluminum to shim my van...to get it closer to corner balanced > than it was..I think I added about 3/8" above my rear spring on the > right side...When I got the van, the right rear would spin if you looked > cross-eyed at a hill or gravel or sand....Shimming that wheel "down" > helped a lot, good enough for a Campmobile/worker van/mobile dressing > room. Despite what Scott says, I do NOT describe vanagon handling as > 'sports car like' by any stretch of my imagination..... (grin) so > 'close enough' regarding ride height is adequate for me... > I do pay a bit of attention when I load up for a long trip..try to > approximate an even loading > ..Vanagons do not have very compliant suspension. The wheels have > pretty limited range of motion...so a little change goes a long way to > even them up. > Remember, when you change suspension heights....you move things just > half as far as they are 'out'...I am mixing metaphors...height weight up > down heavy light......The best way to visualize how the wheels work in > relationship to each other is to take two pencils and cross them at > right angles in one hand....now, move that hand around and watch....you > will see ...

My '82 diesel Westy springs are shimmed with pieces of cutting board. I did over-correct on the first attempt, and had to remove shims. I have the largest amount of shim at the left rear, and a bit less at the right rear. I have not weighed this van.

By the time you get the body to a reasonably level state, a good portion of the already limited range of motion at the left rear is gone due to the spring compression required. This is why Derek's proposal to use a stiffer spring in the left rear is interesting to me. I want the body to be level while maintaining the range of motion afforded by a full-length spring. Am I asking too much? How different would the spring rates have to be to cause dangerous handling? What about spring frequency? Can they have different rates, but the same frequency? We are nowhere near the frequency of sports car springs in the Vanagon.

Mike