Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Nov 2011 21:15:04 -0500
From:         Art <awa0330@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Advice request; 1986 WESTY Vanagon automatic
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Thanks.

Although I'm told that there is not anything that needs to happen right now with the vehicle, I'll bring it down to a fairly local mechanic that comes recommended through some of you and get a once over. I should have it in my possession within two weeks as transportation is already arranged. Assuming there are no huge surprises, I want to get it ready for a couple of months of road travel in February, as I head south and west. I'll replace the fridge with an Engel MT45, remove the old fridge and pick up some storage, add an auxiliary battery of course, and an inverter. Because I use iPods and iPads and iStuff, I'll need to assess places to plug in, radio stuff, etc. My travels for now will not be during the hottest summer months, but I will assess, based on the rest of the mechanical condition, whether I should bother reconnecting and converting the A/C system. I won't really have a ton of time between acquisition and hitting the road. If I can get those things out of the way, I'll use it a bit and come home with a better understanding of "what's next".

Thanks for the shifting tips and have a ball with your project.

-----Original Message----- From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:11 PM To: Art ; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Re: Advice request; 1986 WESTY Vanagon automatic

hi Art... congratulations. Now .....just having it arrive safely is your next hurtle.. hopefully no issues at all in that department.

and yes...it IS handy to be able to rest back there if broken down and waiting. it's also awfully handy that the rear hatch makes a fine rain roof while working on the engine.

What is the first upgrade or modification you are contemplating ?

I'll tell you two things about the auto trans shifter.. one ...... it is not that hard at all to accidentally have it in 2nd and be going down the freeway at 65mph .. it's easy to do .. the engine does not sound or feel any different at 65 mph whether in 2nd or 3rd. ( but the rpm's sure will be higher )

the lack of good console lighting ( or none ) at the shifter doesn't help at night either. I like to rig a little red LED that shins on the shift lever and pattern.

also .. many auto trans Vanagon owners don't know this trick.. any time you are in 3rd ...........like say loosing speed heading up a hill, 2nd is available with a quick slap on the shifter.........no need to push in the button. There's an interlock so it can't get below 2nd . so just slap it back into 2nd ...no button pushing, no worry about going into 1st.

( on the upshift back to 3rd ...you also don't have to push the button in, but you do have to be careful to not go into Neutral ) .

it's not uncommon for the neutral safety switch in the shift console to not make contact .. so if it doesn't start from the key in Park, , wiggle the shift lever some.

I climb hills at about 4,200 in 2nd. oh .,. I don't just put it in 'D' and drive normally.. I keep it in 2nd until I'm going fast enough to want top gear, then I manually shift to 3rd. I never use the kick-down feature with the gas pedal.. I do most shifting manually.

and now ..think I mentioned this .. I have this 2.2 Subaru engine and I realize it can go into one of my vanagons the easiest and with least expense by putting it into my 86 GL with auto trans.. and I'll have to take that trans apart too....currently it only goes in Reverse. Besides replacing the wear item parts in it .. I probably will buy a dyno-tested rebuilt Valve Body from German Transaxle for it.

what fun ! congrats again ! Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Art" <awa0330@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:03 PM Subject: Re: Advice request; 1986 WESTY Vanagon automatic