Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Dec 2011 20:07:52 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon engine noise - collapsed lifter?
Comments: To: James Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

to really get a real 'read' on how an engine and oil is performing engine wear-wise .... regular oil analysis would be needed.. say every 10,000 to 15,000 miles.. and to 'really' get a handle on it .. it would be great to have two identical or very similar engines/vehciles in similar conditions , but with different oil being used, to compare also.

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Felder" <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2011 7:45 AM Subject: Re: Vanagon engine noise - collapsed lifter?

Dennis, I agree with you that when it comes to things automotive, most of what circulates among the general public is just folklore. In this case, the owners of a small garage--but one that sees thousands of VWs each year--passed along their observations or something that appeared in a tech bulletin or they heard from a service rep. I don't know, I was just passing it along myself. Not that it should be blindly followed, but since it comes from a better source than, say, the guy behind the counter at a FLAPS, or should be considered.

Best,

Jim