Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Dec 2011 08:57:24 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Synthetic Oil selection?
Comments: To: Tom Torrella <ttorrella4@COMCAST.NET>

Tom, that chart is similar for my '91 with 2.1 waterboxer, except the columns for 15W50, 20W50, and 40W are topped with triangles that I interpret as arrows, indicating to me that VW intended them to be used at ambient temperatures higher than the columns maximum height. Without pulling the owner's book and checking, I think I recall that the column height is at 90 F in my book. However, at least one person whose opinion I respect said to use the 40W in summer in hot climates based on those columns. Before I had an external oil cooler, I found that pressure dropped at high ambient temperatures (up around 100 F and higher) on long highway drives with 20W50 conventional oil. It did not drop enough to trigger the buzzer, but the light would blink when I dropped off the highway to idle, and the pressure would be down below 10 psi, even lower if it was really hot or I'd driven a couple hours or more.

Since installing the tencentlife external oil cooler, the oil pressure has not behaved that way. I'd recommend to anyone driving a waterboxer in the SW US or southern plains area to install a good external oil cooler, and to use the oil recommended by VW at the highest temperatures shown on the oil selection chart. Some say that a good synthetic holds up better at high temperatures, which is one reason they say it is ok to run the oil past the oil change recommended interval. I figure that the same amount of dirt and combustion products are going to be in the oil no matter what its base is, so I do not extend the service interval, regardless of oil. That has in general been the recommendation of car manufacturers and dealers, and it is what they require for warranty validity. Of course, our vans are long out of warranty.

But, as to your original question, VW recommends for your engine that you use a single grade oil at temperatures above 85 F. Most Vanagon drivers use a modern multi-grade.

mcneely

---- Tom Torrella <ttorrella4@COMCAST.NET> wrote: > The info I saw was in an 85 owners manual - > > http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1985vanagon/56.jpg > > My engine is an 1.9 waterboxer, rebuilt about 8,000 miles ago. Most my driving is in South Florida. The oil was just changed last month prior to a trip up north, my mech says one thing, the shop I used had a different blend and I see opposing info from this list. The VW book - nearly 30 yrs ago, shows the limit for higher temps. Granted with improved developments in oil, what is the best viscosity as far as preventing engine wear. Next year I hope to travel out west where temps are much greater so is synthetic worth the extra expense? > > Thanks. > Tom > > > On Dec 3, 2011, at 11:28 PM, "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > > > hi.. > > where are you getting information that says a conventional non-synthetic engine oil is only good to 85 degrees F ambient ? > > > > that makes zero sense.. > > as it's well over 85 F a LOT all over the US in the summer. > > > > if you want to talk about 'oil temp' ..yes.... > > that's a limitation for sure , > > and synthetic oils stay healthy at higher temps than non-synthetics. > > And a non-synthetic driven intelligently can be ok. > > > > to be really on top of it , an oil temp gauge is a nice thing to have on your rig. > > > > personally ... > > I probably would not put a full synthetic in an engine with that many miles on it ..if it's the original engine, or bottom end at least. > > > > in 83 it could be an air-cooled vanagon, > > or it could be a 5 speed diesel vanagon .. > > and you probably have an 83 1.9 waterboxer. > > > > Scott > > > > > > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Torrella" <ttorrella4@COMCAST.NET> > > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > > Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2011 10:16 AM > > Subject: Synthetic Oil selection? > > > > > > Questions: Is it ok to switch to synthetic oils in my 83 vanagon with 193,800 miles? The multi-grade is only good to outside temps of 85*F, will that be a problem to use in hotter climates? > > > > > > > >

-- David McNeely