Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Dec 2011 13:57:14 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil recommendations simplified
Comments: To: ttorrella4@comcast.net

---- ttorrella4@comcast.net wrote: >We'd use it more during the winter months but have to compete with all those snow birds that flock to our favorite camping spots! >They reserve everything and half the time don't show up and the parks do not want to vacate them " as they may show up!" It's a >love - hate thing with Reserve America. .

Oh, with me, the reservation systems are a hate, not love-hate relationship. But, so far as those who reserved spots not showing up, the parks I've dealt with mostly have a time at which the reserved spot must be taken. After that, it is opened to others. I have mostly been able to get spots without having a reservation. Of course, I don't usually want to go into the most popular campgrounds, those with full hook-ups, allow generators, and so on.

Where I have had a problem in fact is not with the campgrounds that accept reservations, but with the ones that are open (which I prefer). Arrive too late in the day, and they are all filled up. In Big Bend National Park that has meant a few times that I've had to stay in the RVs allowed campgrounds rather than the better ones. Ah, for the days when there were not so many of us, and we could just drive down to our favorite spot on a whim, and find it available. Or, going to Big Bend National Park, drive all day, then sleep in the parking lot at Panther Junction after pulling in at 11:00 p.m. Next day, pick up the back country permit. Nowadays, no overnighting allowed in the parking lot.

On the other hand, the open camping campground I'd hoped to go to first being all filled up meant that I went to a really great one in Glacier National Park, in the northern part of the park on the back road. Ten sites, one other one occupied, beautiful creek adjacent, legal to gather wood from a nearby burned area, swans on the nearby lake, just lots of value in that place. Of course, we had to be alert for bears at all times. The otters in the creek made up for the worry about bears.

mcneely