Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Dec 2011 14:43:41 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Hot Shower Contraption
Comments: To: Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

very clever. I'm pretty low tech. I just take a regular solar shower black plastic bag, fill it with water heated in a large pot on the stove, and put that on the raised rear hatch.

I support the rear hatch with a n adjustable length 'tent pole' support rod under the rear hatch . and solar shower bag full of hot water on top of the rear hatch ... shower feed is by gravity, no wires, no valves or pipes etc.

throw a piece of hypalon raft repair material on the ground to stand on .. the rear bed area makes a nice place for a towel n' stuff .. the whole van provides a little breeze protection or privacy .

Another nice thing about an Adventurewagon or other high top vanagon is you have enough room inside to fully stand up in an indoor shower, inside the van. Now we're talkin'. I should work on that .

congrats on your set up , i'm sure you had fun making it. scott ----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Koerner" <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, December 04, 2011 7:45 PM Subject: Vanagon Hot Shower Contraption

Here are some photos of my Vanagon Hot Shower Contraption: http://picasaweb.google.com/richkoerner/VanagonShower?authkey=Gv1sRgCLy895SWoseFBg&feat=directlink

Since then, I've improved it: I've hard-plumbed a swing-arm (90 degrees from tucked away on the passenger side to right in front of your face and body) shower nozzle with and off/on switch adjacent to the nozzle to maximize hot water and shampoo/soap efficiency. No fiddling with a loose hose and shower nozzle like I used to; but still works when you need to heat up the water outside on a Coleman stove the next morning. Can do indoors or outdoors. Works like a champ! I'm in the Ritz! Goodbye hotels! (At least for the night before; next day you might have to drive a few miles to reheat added water, close the curtains, etc.)

Come to BBtB in January to see it! Looking forward to seeing your own novelties and inventions! Hey, that's what This List is all about, right? Improving our Vanagons beyond what the original designers and engineers ever conceived? Yeah!

Well, based on the comments I might glean from the forthcoming BBtB, I might add some more specifics; but for now it works form me...mighty fine! "Anyplace" is my 5Star Hotel with my Vanagon, even the middle of no-place with no shower facilities to be had....been there, want to go again. Or even in the middle of civilization---check out the steam rising from the roof vent of that Vanagon you noticed parked nearby, it will probably be me!

My Vanagon is a tin top, so my hot water shower inside is a sit-down affair; with a Westy like most of you, it would be a lot easier regarding the shower-enclosure and Rubbermaid tub; stand up and enjoy and let the steam go out of your skylight vent. Anyway, the possibilities of free hot water from a non-used rear heater connection are as abundant as the creative mind.

Rich San Diego