Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Dec 2011 10:30:49 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: WTB: Transmission (good or bad) that fits in an '87 Vanagon
              2.1L
Comments: To: philippe <fuzzmeister@GMAIL.COM>

That price seems pretty chunky for a used auto-tranny - tested or not.

Granted, it comes with a warranty(however good it is). But given all the trouble to remove the old and replace it with the new one - and if bad - remove and replace it again to return to the supplier - I would think you would be better off taking your own to a reputable auto-tranny repair shop and have them do the job locally. I'm all about using local folks, for the most part, because if all else fails, and you can't get satisfaction, the local shop is right there, and you can run over with your chainsaw to achieve satisfaction. On the other side of the coin, the local shop is close enough you can run over and keep them tweaking on it until it's right, if there are problems. But likely not necessary. If your trans-axle is good, the local transmission rebuild will probably be OK. The tranny is simple enough, that If you are careful, with a standard toolbox you can rebuild it yourself at home in your garage. That being the case, a competent shop should be able to do a decent job, given their experience and facilities. My local guy who rebuilt my engine (now with 140,000 mi on it since that rebuild and no troubles) recently quoted me $900 for a rebuild of the tranny on my Carat. Haven't had it done yet, but it's coming this spring. The price may change a bit by then but it won't be much. So for around $1000 I will have a newly rebuilt tranny with new parts - not a certified(?) tranny with used parts that would be questionable in my mind from the get-go.

Just my $0.02 this morning.

Good luck.

John

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 12/7/2011 12:38 AM, Fuzzy :philippe wrote: > Anyone with experience with these guys? > > http://www.a1partsdepot.com/1987-VOLKSWAGEN-VANAGON-Transmission-P347136.aspx > > Philippe > > > On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 8:15 PM, Fuzzy :philippe<fuzzmeister@gmail.com> wrote: >> Hi! >> >> Looks like my automatic transmission is going bad. My options are: >> >> - Get the old transmission fixed/rebuilt >> - Get a working used transmission and replace the old one with it >> - Get a non-working used transmission and pilfer parts from it >> - Convert the automatic transmission to a manual transmission >> (used/rebuilt and working) >> >> Can anyone help with any of the above? >> >> Let me know privately to fuzzmeister@gmail.com >> >> Thank you so much in advance! >> >> Philippe >