Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Dec 2011 09:07:01 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power inverter selection
Comments: To: Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@FRONTIER.COM>

When it comes to inverters you need to think in watts and then how they relate to current at 12 volts. Your battery, and if used while driving, the charging circuit needs to handle the load of the inverter, charging the battery, and any other loads on it. Figure every 100 watts needs close to 10 amps. You need to consider the complete charging circuit all the way from the alternator. Truly supporting a 600 watt inverter load means a 60 amp charge circuit, #6 wire to avoid voltage drop and this is more than 1/2 your alternator capacity. You also need to consider battery size. For long time use you want the battery A/H rating to be at least 2, preferably 4 or 5 times the expected 12 volt load. Discharging a battery too fast will cause the voltage to drop rapidly and shut the inverter down.

You do not want to back feed the outlets in the van. It is a code violation, dangerous, and just should not even be considered. If you are going to do any type of permanent installation on the 120 volt side than the inverter needs to be designed for that purpose and UL listed for use in a recreational vehicle. You will also need some type of transfer switch, plug arrangement, something to ensure the male plug outside cannot feed into inverter or the inverter can not energize the outside plug. Same (listing requirement), also goes for permanently installed chargers. This mostly due to neutral connections and grounding requirements and reasons I cannot quickly explain. The Vanagon is small enough that a cord can easily be placed from the inverter to whatever you are using.

The space behind the driver's seat is a good location. Protect and secure the wires.

Dennis