Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Dec 2011 10:57:59 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon weights was [WetWesties] RV coverage for BCAA, AAA etc
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

The placard doesn't always tell the whole story. On my straight van, tire pressures are specified for two different tire sizes - a 190 and a 205 in a 14 inch tire. If those tire sizes are different - all bets are off. If you are running something bigger than a 14 inch tire - pressure needs are different.

You can also run into the problem of having the right tire size, yet the tire is under inflated when the placard is followed, because contemporary tires perform a bit differently. Or - If you run a tire that is a bit out of the range of the tire performance specified for the van, then different inflation is required and placard pressures won't cut it. I'm running the General Altimax 205/70-R14-XL and placard pressure range for that tire sucks. It's runs like all the tires are low - squirrely and all over the road. I go a bit below the max rated tire pressure on the rear, and proportionately lower on the front per the placard. The handling tightens way up. I do keep track of the heat of the tires.

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 12/9/2011 9:34 PM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > Why not use the pressure listed on the placard. VW engineers figured that out. mcneely > > ---- Gary Bawden<goldfieldgary@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >> Good point, Chris, >> >> On every trip, I always get out after about 70 miles (that's my first gas >> station going south), walk around and feel every tire for excess heat. If >> any one of them feels overly warm and/or appears low, I use the gauge and >> add air as necessary. I used to be one of those guys who aired the tires up >> to the maximum pressure stated on the tire, trying to squeeze the maximum >> fuel efficiency, but after listening to Scott, and having a chance to drive >> other Vanagons with properly inflated tires that actually handled well, now >> I proportion them front to rear. >> >> Gary >> >> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Chris S.<szpejankowski@gmail.com> wrote: >> >>> That front axle weight should make you ponder your front tire pressures as >>> compared to rear. >>> >>> Chris. >>> >>> Wysłane z iPhone'a >>> >>> Dnia Dec 9, 2011 o godz. 13:42 Gary Bawden<goldfieldgary@GMAIL.COM> >>> napisał(a): >>> >>>> I weighed my '85 sunroof GL with my new 1.9 TD conversion, a nearly-full >>>> tank of fuel, an Add-A-Room shelter, 2 people, one medium dog, and all >>>> camping gear and got this: >>>> >>>> Front axle: 2600 lbs. >>>> Rear axle: 2050 lbs. >>>> Total wgt: 4650 lbs. >>>> >>>> Guess I've never figured out how to travel light! >>>> >>>> Gary >>>> >>>> Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 22:00:20 -0700 >>>>> From: Robert Stevens<mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM> >>>>> Subject: Re: [WetWesties] RV coverage for BCAA, AAA etc >>>>> >>>>> On Dec 8, 2011, at 7:58 PM, Ellen in Oregon wrote: >>>>> >>>>>> What does a regular flat top vanagon weigh, no stove, no fridge, no = >>>>> furnace, no storage, etc.? Just curious. >>>>> >>>>> Good reference link for that. >>>>> >>>>> http://www.vanagon.com/info/years/1980/index.htm >>>>> >>>>> bob= >>>>> >>>>> > -- > David McNeely > >