Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Dec 2011 10:34:52 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Rear Shocks, Syncro vs. 2wd
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>

---- Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA> wrote: "There is no need to smugly dismiss those who wish to modify their vans, and there is certainly no way that you know what modifications VW engineers would have approved."

You are absolutely correct about that, Alistair. My statement said as much. But, they (and all manufactures) tell their dealers that they do not recommend modifications. Dealers generally won't work on modified vehicles. That's not a problem for us, of course, because they mostly won't work on our vans, anyway.

that said, I have two modifications on my waterboxer engine. One is that the oil pressure sensors have been moved to be more accessible, and two is that I have a tencentlife oil cooler. So I guess I am less adamant than my statement implied. Recognizing my mechanical limitations, I am very reluctant to change anything that might involve safety. Others may know more than I do, and may feel comfortable changing such things. Something as fundamental as suspension, I definitely will stay away from altering. Others may not feel so constrained. mcneely

> > alistair > > > > > > On 2011-12-11, at 7:46 AM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > > > ---- Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: > >> The shock is the power suspension stop. The Syncro shocks are longer. This > >> increased travel means that when the wheel drops the axle shafts now get > >> over extended and the rear springs can become loose and pop out. Keep to the > >> smooth roads. > > > > So Dennis, you are saying that we 2WD drivers should use the shocks specified for our equipment, not for the Syncro, especially if we drive on rough roads, right? Exactly as I suspected. I definitely do not know more about our vehicles than the engineers who designed them did. Thanks, mcneely

-- David McNeely