Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Dec 2011 15:43:18 -0800
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Rear Shocks, Syncro vs. 2wd
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

different CV joints and axles can be fitted to allow more articulation. Note the 16" syncro's differences, longer shock, longer trailing arm, different cv joints.

The stock set up is often not the epitome. It depends what you want to do with the van.

Also, stock 2wd came from factory with a wide range of rear spring lengths and rates, from 231 mm to 315 mm long.

alistair

On 2011-12-11, at 2:26 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote:

> For most situations the stock 2WD shock has more than enough extension room > to accommodate an extra inch of loaded height. When the rear is lifted and > the shock removed the only thing limiting the distance the trailing arm can > drop is the drive shaft. Using a longer shock now makes the drive shaft and > constant velocity joints the stop. Some travel on a road like the Brooklyn > queens expressway can test this new set up. Be sure to have the towing > insurance paid up. > > The Syncros use longer shocks and springs but the drive line is also > lowered. Yes, Syncro engines and transmissions sit lower in relation to the > body. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Alistair Bell > Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2011 11:16 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Rear Shocks, Syncro vs. 2wd > > The original question involved a 2 wd van that had been lifted. The syncro > rear shock has about 30mm more extension than the stock shock. Both types > have close to the same compressed length. If the OP's friend's van had been > lifted 1", then it makes perfect sense to install a shock with a 1" longer > stroke. > > Otherwise the shock will be bottoming out more often. > > Some folk cleave to stock set ups, some folk don't. There is no need to > smugly dismiss those who wish to modify their vans, and there is certainly > no way that you know what modifications VW engineers would have approved. > > alistair > > > > > > On 2011-12-11, at 7:46 AM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > >> ---- Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: >>> The shock is the power suspension stop. The Syncro shocks are longer. >>> This increased travel means that when the wheel drops the axle shafts >>> now get over extended and the rear springs can become loose and pop

>>> out. Keep to the smooth roads. >> >> So Dennis, you are saying that we 2WD drivers should use the shocks