Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Dec 2011 17:52:43 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rear Shocks, Syncro vs. 2wd
Comments: To: Robert Stevens <mtbiker62@gmail.com>

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Robert Stevens <mtbiker62@gmail.com> wrote:

> > you can adjust the limit to suit, that is the advantage. > > > > alistair > > > > > > On 2011-12-11, at 2:28 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > > > >> So if you install a strap or other device to limit travel where is the > >> advantage of the longer shock? > >> > >> Dennis > > Not quite the same thing, but similar. I have 930's on my Syncro > and put a modified spring perch on the rears that are heim-jointed, > which allow the trailing arm to travel, without bending the spring > longitudinally, it stays straight while the suspension travels up/down. > > Because of an additional ride height of almost 2", I put a Pro Comp > shock that is a 14", stock height is 12". We put the van on a lift and let > the wheels > go to full droop and could see that the splines on the axle/CV > interface were too close to "too far", so put limiting straps on. > > The end result has been very effective. > > bob

There is the classic case of changing what was specified by the factory engineers because they didn't do it well enough for the owner making the changes. Bob wanted it stronger, Bob wanted more travel, Bob wanted more options for springs and shocks...so he did his own engineering and ended up with an improved Syncro. Most Syncros I see (I was at the Samba PDX gathering today with about 10 Syncros and Dokas) are far from stock...they were all sporting different motors, wheels, tires, bumpers, etc. Same with most of the other Vanagons there today...Most were significantly different than they left the factory, though a couple were pretty original, except for maybe the motors.

The new vehicles came very well built, but if an owner is willing to 'upgrade' later on...there are plenty of items, systems, components, etc on the Vanagon that warrant being changed to better than stock....The original engineers were greatly constrained by costs.....hence the lack of instruments, the stamped metal suspension components, drum brakes at the rear, odd-ball headgasket carry-over from the aircooled motors...... some of the other cost saving decisions on the vanagon....that as these parts wear out....replacing with better is OK in my book, if you have the money to put into the vehicle.

I think there are ways to deviate from factory stock that will actually +save+ money over replacing with OEM stuff with significant upside results...Like replacing the WBX motor rather than buying another one the same. But I don't want to start a "WBX motors are the best, no Subaru....no Inlines....no Zetec...no, Small block Chebby... thread... grin. Don Hanson