Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Dec 2011 15:34:09 -0500
From:         John Lauterbach <jhlauterbach@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Setting time timing - unexpectedly need help.

I had hoped to turn this problem over to my mechanic, but when I called him this morning, he said was totally booked up for the remainder of the year. Thus it setting the timing correctly is a must DIY. I have done this many times before, but the usual is not working.

Distributor is tending to creep towards more advanced timing. The clamp that supposedly holds the distributor in one spot may not be doing its job, or I am not tightening the bolt enough or something else. One problem is getting a grip on the bolt head. I am using a 10-mm socket with a 1/4-inch ratchet,

Would appreciate some step-by step instructions on moving the distributor to take the timing from around 10 degrees BTC to TDC. I know this sounds dumb, would appreciate the help. I have an electronic timing light.

John