Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Dec 2011 15:13:11 -0500
From:         John Lauterbach <jhlauterbach@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: pushrod from auto. trans to throttle - Cannot get spring back
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

Thank you David. I have made the adjustments to the accelerator linkage as described on Bentley Page 37.13. One Problem: How do you get the override spring back on. I have the right e-clip ready to go, but I can't push the spring in enough to leave enough space at the end of the rod to put the e-clip on. Is there a special tool required to compress the spring?

John

On Tue, 2011-12-13 at 13:09 -0500, David Beierl wrote: > At 03:17 AM 12/13/2011, John Lauterbach wrote: > >Loosened lock nut and moved adjusting screw in about five turns and > >tightened the lock nut. Engine RPMs more than enough to backoff on idle > >adjust screw. However, any side-to-side movement in throttle pushrod > >causes engine idle to drop off. Is this normal? > > John, suggest you start by setting the end adjustment according to > the spec in Bentley (and have a spare E-clip in case one goes flying > - I believe Dennis H says 3/16 size from the hardware store will > work). Right now you've got the rod constantly holding the throttle > slightly open. > > The adjusting range on the throttle screw is five or six turns > IIRC. You've got a nice tight throttle body now, so keep opening up > that screw (and of course you know to set the basic idle and timing > with the idle stab module bypassed). > > Yours, > David