Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Dec 2011 20:47:41 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: power steering groaning
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>

My groan is defintely something other than the pump. I was so certain it was the pump, that I managed to put three pumps on. The first replacement of what I thought was a bad pump, was a used, but known good , pump. But I was suspicious that the pump really wasn't that good. You know how that goes. The second pump I put on was a rebuilt pump with warranty - and it groaned like the used known good pump. I thought it was bad out of the box, so sent it back. Then I got another rebuilt pump. I got a wee bit smarter this time, and put that pump on my other van before installing on the groaning one. No groans. So I took it off, and put it on the groaning van. Power system groaned like pump failure. So it is definitely not the pump. So - that leaves the plumbing, and the PS rack. I have a new rack, but haven't installed it yet. Question: how can I check to see if there is a restriction or if I need a restrictor. I have no idea how to begin on that. I think I will go ahead with the new PS rack - and that will definitely tell the tale. New pump, new PS Rack - if that sucker still groans - it's the plumbing. But sure would like to know how to check it.

John

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 12/14/2011 2:45 PM, Alistair Bell wrote: > I agree that it is most likely a pump defect, but I have just repaired a rubber lined bracket that lies under the airbox and the groaning has mostly gone. The rubber lining of the bracket had shrunk a bit so that one of the steel pipes was not being held firmly. > > alistair > > > On 2011-12-14, at 12:03 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > >> While it is possible for some groans to come from the rack most of the time >> they originate from the pump. Worn vanes or the housing are the usual cause. >> Regardless of where you here the noises the pump is the source. Diagnoses >> can be further compounded due to rebuilt pumps having the same problem. >> A damper hose or restrictor can sometimes be used to quit a noisy pump. >> >> Dennis >> >> ----Original Message----- >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of >> Alistair Bell >> Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:14 PM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: Re: power steering groaning >> >> Well in my case the groan does not come directly from the pump. It sounds >> like the pipes, further forward where they disappear at forward end of >> engine compartment. That is not to say that the pump is not creating >> conditions that cause the pipes to make noise, but to be clear the pump >> itself is not groaning. >> >> I'm suspecting some sort of isolating mount has come adrift or the pipes >> have moved/been bent so that they are vibrating on something. >> >> alistair >> >> >> On 2011-12-14, at 9:04 AM, John Rodgers wrote: >> >>> Alistair, >>> >>> I have a similar problem. Systems works fine, have a brand new "Known >> Good" rebuilt pump with a full warranty - and it still groans like the pump >> is dying. Checked the lines and flushed thoroughly, installed new filter and >> refilled with fresh clean AFT - still it moans and groans. I think its my >> power steering rack gone bad gone bad somehow. Though it's only been >> three-rour years since replacement - I have bought another factory rebuilt >> one from a list vendor. Haven't had a chance yet to install it. Will flush >> the system again just before installing the new one. Don't want any metal to >> go through the new one. Will post the results when done. My power steering >> has been a real PITA on my vans. Have had to replace the pumps or the racks >> on all three. $$$$. >>> John >>> >>> John Rodgers >>> Clayartist and Moldmaker >>> 88'GL VW Bus Driver >>> Chelsea, AL >>> Http://www.moldhaus.com >>> >>> >>> On 12/13/2011 9:35 PM, Alistair Bell wrote: >>>> I've had a groaning noise in my '86 syncro's power steering ever since I >> bought it. The location of the noise was hard to find, wasn't the pump, >> seemed like the metal pipes, where they go forward out of the engine >> compartment. I just lived with it, got used to it. I did flush the system >> for fun more than anything. >>>> Today I listened to the pump again and noted (using screwdriver >> stethoscope) that the pump was making a noise like a bad bearing. I have a >> spare used one, so I swapped it in. It is so easy to make the swap in the >> van, almost a pleasure. After the swap the "bearing noise" was gone, but the >> groaning remains. >>>> Apart from the noise, the system works fine. I now have to try some >> rubber wedges or the like to see if I can dampen any steel line vibrations. >>>> Not a very informative post, so it goes. >>>> >>>> alistair >>>> >>>> >