Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Dec 2011 06:12:24 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rear Wheel (bearing?) noise.
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

Use a stethoscope or the screwdriver to ear method to further isolate the noise. Rear wheel bearings last a long time but they do require lubrication at some point. If a rear wheel bearing is suspected they really need to be replaced as a failure under way can be catastrophic and will often result in the stub axle or wheel flanged being trashed. Bearing noise with acceleration changes point more to transmission problem than a wheel problem.

Dennis