Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Dec 2011 18:00:03 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Brake warning light flickering
Comments: To: David M <covrambles@YAHOO.COM>

Dot 3 is sufficient. The operator of any vehicle needs to know where the various fluids go. I suspect your brake fluid hasn't been changed in a long, long time.

should be done every two years. leaving brake fluid in any vehicle indefinitely is really rough on the brake system .. and costly. Maintenance and service is very inexpensive compared to repairs. If service properly ... things don't wear out much.

if you 'just drive them' ... you end up with things like dry worn out CV joints.. shot CV joint boots.. worn out transmission .. leaking clutch slave cylinder.. and about 25 things like that.

'The Trick' ..the Hard Part ..is the people involved.. getting the owner/operators to either do it themselves, or find someone to service their van .. and that can be tricky too ..finding someone that is competent, really cares.. does great work ....and offers good value ....

Long term, vanagons are as good as the people involved with their care are.

Actually ..they do amazingly well for the often very minimal care they get .. but man are they screwed up after 10 years of that.

There used to be an oil filter advertisement ... the Mechanic says 'pay me now, or pay me later' .. the implication being .. either pay me a small amount for service now.. or pay me a Really Large Amount later for a new engine.

Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "David M" <covrambles@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2011 1:11 AM Subject: Re: Brake warning light flickering

You were correct sir. I had no idea the brake fluid was under there, what a weird place to put it. It was very low, I added 1/2 a container of DOT 4 (almost impossible to find).

-David (1987 Wolfsburg)