Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Dec 2011 18:03:57 -0500
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Electrical Gremlins (all in one post)

My project '90 van is about ready to be back on the road! (After several years of sitting). This bus has a rusty frame and was full of mice. I've got it almost ready to go and almost everything working, and now it's time to work on some interior electronics.

First and foremost, The front heater blower motor. It doesn't work. It doesn't click and it doesnt turn. I just put a replacement 20 amp fuse in it (It was missing the fuse). I have not tried turning the switch with the engine running, but with the key in and it in the "ON" position, the fan would not move on any of the three speeds. It has not yet blown the fuse thought. Where should I start testing. I know it could be the switch or the motor, but don't know how to best test this.

On to power windows: Neither work. No clicking, nothing. So far I have only tested the passanger side. There are 12Volts at the connection to the switch. The switch seems to test poorly though. Between live and ground on the "UP" circuit has no continuity, then full continuity when the button is depressed (Good). The "Down" circuit however has some continuity in the idle position but then full continuity when button is depressed (Odd). Any thoughts? I'm thinking to just jump 12Volts strait to the window motor and see if it clicks or anything.

Door Locks: Door locks work on all doors except the passanger side. It cannot lock manually or by the key as a result. The plunger in the actuator does not depress, even with force. I assume that means this actuator is shot.... right?

ANY input is appreciated as I'll be working on all these things tomorrow. It would be ideal to have as many extra thoughts in my head going into this as possible.

-Craig '87 SUNROOF Syncro Westy Bostig '85 WOOFER Housing '90 Auto Project