Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:35:57 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: rod knock on ivory '84 westy
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

Rods usually knock before they make it out of the case. The problem is that the knock may not be heard, only happened for a short while, or denial prevented the operator from taking the appropriate action.

Dennis

the OP's words... I noticed a loud noise from my engine > and also a significant loss in power"

make it sound like more than a hydraulic lifter issue. Hopefully the tech was 'real sure' before he gave that diagnosis.

oddly .... I don't think I've ever seen a rod knock in any waterboxer engine .. the times I have seen a blown rod bearing... it was rod right through the case. .

the only two modes I've seen are very low oil pressure .... and rod through the case.

and really ....I am realizing more and more that for high mile waterboxer engines, the only way to know the crank and bearings are at least medium healthy is .......run an oil pressure gauge.

either that or send an oil sample out for oil analysis.

1.9 bottom ends are *really* long lasting that I have seen.

On case anyone is interested in purchasing a rebuildable 1.9 waterboxer long block .. I have 6 of them. and ... I'll even say the LOCATION ...........of WHERE they are !! ( odd, I know ) Southern Oregon, Medford-Ashland.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris S." <szpejankowski@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:30 PM Subject: Re: rod knock on ivory '84 westy

Collapsed lifters sound awful and will cause the engine to run badly. Not sure how a loose rod bearing would do that, but it would kill your oil pressure.

Did the diagnosis come from a trustworthy source?

Chris.

Wysłane z iPhone'a