Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Dec 2011 22:13:24 -0600
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: nuts/bolts
Comments: To: Jabin Newhouse <jabin_n@hotmail.com>

The auto industry used some very purpose designed fasteners like truss head bolts & nuts, but they could afford to because they made or bought them by the millions. You may not find the exact same nut but you can replace every bolt or nut with its equivalent stack-up of hardware.

For example a truss head nut, which is a nut that looks like it has a permanently made washer attached gets replaced with a standard metric nut, split lock washer and washer. The idea is to replace function with function, which is different from a restoration where you would chase down every exact part number..

Thanks, Tom Hargrave

www.stir-plate.com

www.towercooler.com

www.kegkits.com

From: Jabin Newhouse [mailto:jabin_n@hotmail.com] Sent: Monday, December 19, 2011 9:56 PM To: thargrav@hiwaay.net Subject: RE: nuts/bolts

tom, i agree....but where do i get them from??? lowe's and home depot are coming up short in many cases...

in rare cases i am only replacing nuts so i have to find metric but i cannot find an exact metric nut to fit

thanks for your help!

_____