Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Dec 2011 17:39:15 -0700
From:         Robert Stevens <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: '86 Vanagon West Camper
Comments: To: Art <awa0330@GMAIL.COM>

On Dec 21, 2011, at 2:21 PM, Art wrote:

> I do have a question. I have the original propane tank, or at least the original style. The guys working on my vehicle suggest that it could get wonky out there when I try to fill her up, not due to condition, but due to age and new regulations. Some will fill it. Some will not. They said I may want to replace the tank with a new one, and while I have not really looked into it yet in detail, it seems that it may cost close to $400. For those who have used the inside stove regularly, have you faced this issue? With daily but not excessive use, do you have a sense how long a tank of gas lasts? I can certainly carry a Coleman or portable stove as well but would like the convenience of “rolling out of bed” and making breakfast on a rainy day. Any opinions or input you all have would be appreciated.

Art, .. congratulations on your new-to-you Westy.

I'm pretty sure, as has been said, that you can just replace the filler valve with a new one to accommodate those propane providers that would otherwise balk at filling your tank with the OE/older valve, if you're concerned about that.

As far as removing the Dometic, I did that a few years ago and have been very pleased with the vitrifrigo, all electric (runs on 110 or 12V). I installed some wheel chair/motorcycle aux. batteries (UB12220) which provide 88AH and can usually get about 2 1/2 to 3 days from them running everything in the van without starting the engine for recharge. I don't have solar but believe that is my next addition. I infrequently camp in areas that have hook ups, usually on BLM land, and I often don't stay in one spot for long anyway, so this set up works well for me. Easy enough to plug in if I'm in that kind of camping situation.

ONe thing to consider doing is install a dedicated, large (4 gauge) cable from the + alternator post to your main battery, if you have any kind of relay between the main and aux batteries. I have a 1315 battery separator with this set up and I get a much faster charge while driving, or when stopped in a campground. Might want to check all the grounds on your van too, and freshen those up. I put short grounds behind the headlights to improve the path there.

The fridge is about twice the capacity of the Dometic and fits nicely in that same space. It will also keep ice cream frozen during summer months.

I've seen a lot of top-loading fridge's that are great, that sit on the floor. Much larger capacity too.

I also installed another propane tank under the slider to run a Propex heater and have found that it doesn't actually need filling for about 3 years. The OE tank on the driver side runs only the stove and also easily lasts 3 years. The most ever added to either has been 2 gallons of propane and I camp quite a bit for several weeks at a time, several times a year.

Bob '87 Syncro Westy