Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Dec 2011 16:12:18 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      trip Rep. PDX to So. Cal (longer)
Comments: To: WetWesties <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

I just finished a 2 day drive from near Portland, Or. to San Diego desert area, driving my 84 tin top westie inside with it's 2.0L/1.8l hybrid inline VW motor. 5sp trans. I did about 1200 miles down the eastern side of the mountains...Hwy 395 most of the way, with freezing temps until near Bishop, Ca...but dry roads. I got a fantastic all time high gas mileage for one tank, between Gardner, Nv and Lone Pine, Ca. of over 26mpg. This is the most mountainous part of the trip with 3 passes above 8000'..Only one pass did I have any real slowing, the rest I powered over in 5th gear with the occasional backshift to 4th to keep my speed at 60-65. Usually I'll run up the longest climbs in 4th gear at 50-55mph and about 3700rpms, but I was into 'making distance' and there was pending weather. My average fuel consumption stayed at it's normal 22-23mpg overall and I burned one quart of oil.....probably once I entered the freeway system in So Cal and begin driving at 75mph like everyone does in LA..

Having the proper tires on my van this time, and them all in almost new condition made a huge difference in driver fatigue..It is a real pleasure to not have to 'ride herd' on the van as you traverse some of these awful two lane sections of 395, amidst bumper to bumper semi trucks running at 65 with gusty desert sidewinds and broken pavement...Good tires are money well spent.

I didn't weight the van this trip, but it contained an estimated 500lbs of tools and bicycle gear, with nothing tied-on or outside on racks. For a quick over-night stopping spot, I chose an auto parts store lot in a very small town in eastern California...I'd bought a battery there once, after spending another night in that lot....I just thought..."Hey, it's quiet and out of the way and pretty safe....and if anyone (a bored deputy sherrif?) rousts me for 'camping' here, I can say I am waiting till morning to test a battery or alternator, or something....." No cop is going to be nasty enough to make you move-on with a story like that....I slept great and the arrival of the first worker was my alarm clock.

Along the way I rode my bicycle up the back road entry to Death Valley...There are signs..."pavement ends in 28 miles" and "next services 108 miles"....that is pretty remote...

Anyway, the old dull brown 84 is again doing it's job like a 'journeyman' vehicle....Pile the stuff in, grab the wheel and head out.....stop when you get sleepy...make coffee when you wake up....perfect..

Don Hansoin