Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Dec 2011 14:07:58 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Turn Signal Bulb Replacement/Rust - 84 Westy
Comments: To: karen davis <yosemite250@YAHOO.COM>

hi. it's normal to have to remove the front turn signal lens assemblies and dry them out .. water just gets in some of them sometimes.

just push the rubber boot back. spray it with WD-40 to break the seal and make the rubber easy to slide.

sometimes the socket is so rusted you need a new one. 1157 sounds right .. and ..... it's very obnoxious/silly that there would be any confusion about which bulb .. because ... THE MOST COMMON large globe bulb used in 12 volt cars is the kind with a bright filament and a smaller filament .. which in this case is turn signal plus parking light.

the other two common ones are .. large globe single filament - brake light bulbs often..........in vanagons............... rear turn signal. and small globe .....3 watt or so .....tail lights.

you just get in trouble counting on parts people .. deal with people who know vanagons forwards and backwards. ..

it has always bothered me that I might have worked on 5,000 of a given type of car .. and I know there is only One Version of some part used on every last one .. yet a parts man .. with a parts book will say it could be one of 2 or 3 different types and they need a VIN etc.. which is just ... dumb. Deal with people who know what's what really about vanagons. Vanagons are about as standard and normal as you can get when it comes to the main exterior running lights.

and it is a normal service item to remove front and rear lamp assemblies, check them for water or bugs or rust or damaged seals.. repair corrosion at the electrical contacts ...etc. Far easier to deal with , compared to waiting until something doesn't work. Fixing a vanagon when it breaks is just an awful way to care for one.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "karen davis" <yosemite250@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2011 12:02 PM Subject: Turn Signal Bulb Replacement/Rust - 84 Westy