Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Dec 2011 12:32:27 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Compression test results for '84 Vanagon 1.9L with rebuilt
              right              head
Comments: To: John Lauterbach <jhlauterbach@BELLSOUTH.NET>

that's good .. points more to valves then. I commonly find the exhaust valves not sealing perfectly.

when the a head is off the engine I like to stand one on end, and fill the exh. port with gasoline. If it's sealing well...it'll hold that liquid for a long time...24 hrs. if it leaks out in an hour say ...you know that valve is leaking.

The valves hang in their amazingly well... but the exhaust valve sealing gets weak after many miles.

It's three main wear areas of course.

the heads/head gaskets are one main area ..and traditionally on opposed VW four cylinder engines...the valves are the weakest part ..( and they are darn good on wbxr's, compared to air-cooleds )

next .pistons, barrels , rings...those barely wear at all usually., Honed barrels and new rings, or a complete new set of pistons and barrels restores a lot of sealing and power there ..but even with say 150K miles on them ...they are usually still quite good.

the bottom end .. bearings and oil clearance...eventually those are too worn to be safe. 1.9 wbxr bottom ends....can easily do 250K miles often. Really long-lifed there.

have fun ! Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "John Lauterbach" <jhlauterbach@BELLSOUTH.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, December 26, 2011 10:24 PM Subject: Re: Compression test results for '84 Vanagon 1.9L with rebuilt right head