Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Dec 2011 10:20:09 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Decisions, Decisions, Now WHICH Front Blower Motor To Buy?
Comments: To: James Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com>

At 09:27 AM 12/29/2011, James Felder wrote: >If there was serious concern about sticking to the original >methodology, we would all glue our cases back together.

Actually the original method of holding the case together is with the clips. Then VW decided to reduce manufacturing costs by ultrasonic welding, so they added the tabs (but kept on using the clips). When they got the welding equipment set up in the factory, they ditched the clips for assembly, but they're still the specified method for reassembly. Gluing the case together would be a very bad thing to do.

Incidentally Bentley says (when splitting the case) to split the welded tabs by hammering a knife blade between them. It's much easier to simply saw them off flush with the edge of the case.

I'm not saying that zip ties aren't usable in a pinch. But I believe the clips are superior. Two bucks apiece is a rip, but in this case I think it's worth it.

Yours, David