Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Dec 2011 12:19:16 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Decisions, Decisions, Now WHICH Front Blower Motor To Buy?
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com>

Hi Jim,

Don't want to sound like I'm belaboring the issue, but At 10:47 AM 12/29/2011, Jim Felder wrote: >Sorry, but I can't see that one form of mechanical force is superior >to another, all other things being equal (like the durability >argument that's been proposed... yes, zip ties could disintegrate, >but clips could rust. In fact, neither is true).

I'm not concerned about either one.

>I'm not arguing against the clips, David. In fact I have used them >on three out of the four heater boxes I have done. But are they >better than zip ties? No. You can't tell once the box is in the car. >I'm just saying that there is no reason to dissuade anyone from >using any alternative method that actually meets reasonably high >standards, equal to or better than what was used originally.

I'm a huge fan of zip ties, been using them since they were invented. My issue with them here is twofold: first, splitting the tabs with a knife is a bloody nuisance and can wreck the tabs - I've done it. They're designed for single use. Much easier to simply saw them off flush. Second, I'm concerned about stress concentrations in the plastic from using fasteners with that little area. This may well be overcaution, but I've seen an awful lot of plastics failures resulting from treating the stuff as though it was metal - look at the tabs on the Vanagon instrument panel for an example, and the way the screws break out of the corners of the tach and speedo mounts. Those failures are caused by the manufacturer failing to understand how plastic reacts to stress over time. I could point you to a whole chapter in the big plastics industry annual handbook from that same era talking about that exact problem and scolding mechanical engineers for not understanding their materials (well, I no longer have the book and forget what it's called, so I guess I can't actually). Anyway I've taken that to heart and had good success with plastics as a result of that understanding. I'm very reluctant to use a plastic fastening with less clamping area than the original for that reason.

>Last week, I chimed in in support of cork valve cover gaskets when >someone stated that their mechanic said that they "fail often." This >is creating a problem where none exists, and it's not fair to people >trying to learn to work on these old vehicles.

Why on earth should cork valve cover gaskets fail, unless you re-use them too many times or they come apart when you take the cover off? You're supposed to use new ones anyway...not that I generally have.

Cheers, d