Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 Dec 2011 16:42:48 -0800
From:         John Anderson <wvukidsdoc@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Which fuel distribution manifold?
Comments: To: George Laubach <skiplaubach@COMCAST.NET>

George, having not followed the aftermarket for Vanagons in 5 years I don't know about the aluminum ones, I presume just made from regular fuel rail stock, if not exhorbitant  $$ probably a nice choice.  I would say this about the plastic oness though.  Eventually those things are going to start failing.  The newest set sold originally in a van is what 20 years old now.  Sure I'd guess VW kept making another 10 years or so, but chances are you are talking about putting in a 20+ year old part.  How long are those (even the ones with stainless ends) going to be still good for...   Well do you still have the original plastic bulkhead fitting, if so why?   I've wondered about the sense of driving with these things for several years now, actually since they were getting to be 15 years old or so.  Sure the later ones where the end doesn't rust off seem pretty bulletproof but for how long?  And I don't know the answer, I'm just saying.  Course I'm cheap, and would probably go with them.  Same goes for the plastic "hard" lines BTW, I wonder about those.  I mean just what was the design life expected to be, same a the plastic coolant lines?   John ________________________________ From: George Laubach <skiplaubach@COMCAST.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2011 2:25 PM Subject: Which fuel distribution manifold? 84 Westy 1.9L WBXR Manual I need to replace my original fuel distribution manifolds. Preference? The alternate aluminum units from our esteemed suppliers? Or a pair of used black plastic ones (OE)? Thank you for your opinions and why's. Skip Elgin, IL Sent from my iPad