Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Dec 2011 14:55:59 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Not starting easily
Comments: To: Jeffrey Vickers <jeff@VICKERSDESIGN.COM>

hi.. for a hard-to-start situation on an SVX .. when it runs right ...and nothing is really that wrong.. consider or check if the start signal is getting to the ecu. I have seen a simple wire splice on 'that wire' pull apart.. and the only symptom was longer cranking times.

the normal way it should start is explosively even ..not even click-vroom .. but the vroom so fast you don't hear any click from the starter in the first place. they should start that well.

DO FIND OUT if your 02 light is your CEL. Also .. say whether it's OBD-I or -II. in either case.. an SVX engine will likely always have a few codes set..such as will occur when the ecu does not see the right signals from the transmission ecu it used to talk with , in the SVX car.. so unless something clever has been done to fool the ecu into happiness on those odd inputs.. there will always be a CEL on.

just for starters you need to know if it's OBD-I or -II. and if the 02 warning light is the CEL. and if codes are set ... it's nice to know what they are.

all conversions 'should' come with a full set of wiring diagrams used to build the wiring harness, and diagrams and instructions on the custom wiring and changes that were done to the van .. such as how the CEL works , and how to get it into 'code-flashing' mode if it's OBD-I.

if you know what an OBD-II interface connector looks like.. look for it ..usually near the ecu ...........or if trying to be really official and legal it would be near the steering column...or near the ignition switch.

I have seen some very bogus conversion work .. even from high end expensive conversion shops. my saying on it is .... "People don't really mind that it's expensive............they just want to get what they paid for."

Scott ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeffrey Vickers" <jeff@VICKERSDESIGN.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2011 1:55 PM Subject: Re: Not starting easily