Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Dec 2011 16:49:49 -0500
From:         Derek Drew <derekdrew@DEREKMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: The Price We Pay ... Upgrade Brake Booster

Those red things are magnetic socket holders that are not in current use, so they are just thrown up against the garage door as a form of storing them while they are inactive.

You can see how the disease progresses incipiently, as once I had the wiring exposed, I realized I needed to upgrade the gague of the speaker wire to the speakers in the doors, and this begot the obsession to add a 2nd driver in the door (the bottom one) here...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Li-8OHlmlz0/TvznKCApdpI/AAAAAAAAACo/KsuRbxRwCBE/s576/year-end-2011%252520046.JPG

.... where you can see more scary wiring, including lots of little permanent labels for the extra wires I put in there saying what they do and where they go.

By the way, if you are a syncroist with large tires and oversized brakes, now is a convenient time, if pulling the dash, to install the upgraded brake booster, ATE part number 300088, BMW part number 34 33 1 157 416.

This is the brake booster from BMW 3 Series (E21,E30,E36,E46,E90,E91,E92,E93) 325i readily available at the local junk yard, or online.

It cross references to 34331150231; 34331152600; 34331152601; 34331154024; 34331157199; 34331157217; 34331157416; 34331157982; .

Best new prices is from either:

1. Go Westy Auto Parts special discount site (the external site) Part Number BMW018726

- OR -

2. http://www.car-stuff.com/store/?N=9709+4294963685+1580+11921+9177

If you have stockish sized tires, there is no need for this upgraded larger booster.

Also, note that this change greatly enhances the feel of braking with large wheels, but it does not actually increase braking capacity.

Nevertheless, all who have done the modification in syncro circles really appreciate having done it. These people are already running large diameter tires.

See Samba for details on 34331157416 because you have to drill something out and retap it to fit.

*I* am going to need a psychiatrist now that I feel forced to visit both our traditional email lists and Samba at the same time because the good stuff is distributed. Gives me a headache. I think wistfully back to the day when the Vanagon list was IT.

For a long time I held the line at email lists and refused to visit forums, but my resolve has been finally crushed onto the trash heap of history by the inexorable march of people willy nilly communicating wherever they they want to.

How would you feel about it if somebody told you to check all of these before any job, using Google Translate as needed. You would tell them to please go die in a Vanagon junkyard and leave you alone.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=20 (Vanagon, which traditionally in the USA was called Type II [both vanagons and busses alike] but we now confusedly call T3 in deference to mother Germany)

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/index.php (UK; they call it T25!!!!)

http://www.vwt3.co.at/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=3 (Austrian, where production went; see... they call it T3)

http://www.syncrosa.co.za/forum/index.php (South African)

http://ig-syncro16.de/forum/ (16" version)