Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Dec 2011 08:55:26 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Not starting easily
Comments: To: Corey Deahl <corey.deahl@GMAIL.COM>

One thing with conversions is that until you are fully knowledgeable you are going to require some support from the converter. This is due to every conversion being done slightly differently.

From the factory the O2 sensor light was operated from a mileage counter driven by the speedometer cable. As a bulb check it was also lighted with the alternator warning light. So for your first support question you need to find out how these two warning lights now operate as the Subaru alternator requires some type of wiring change for this circuit. Also ask about the refrigerator control circuit as it was also originally controlled with the alternator light warning circuit. Are all the warning lights working? Do both the alternator and oil pressure lights turn on with ignition on and engine stopped?

Now what do you mean by hard starting? Is it cranking slowly? Is it cranking normally but will not fire? Will it only start with throttle open? Need some more details.

One thing you should do is find the connection for the ECU and get some means to read the fault codes. This will help a lot. Hopefully the converter added the engine maintenance indicator lamp, (MIL or check engine), to the dash somewhere. A hard start and bad idle could be from a single failure.

Dennis