Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Jan 2012 12:28:28 -0800
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1.9l with 23psi @ 4000 rpm
Comments: To: pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM>

Personally, I would worry about it. Use the 15-50 or a 20-50 oil, don't over fill.

I know so many guys who thought it was a great idea to add an oil pressure gauge to a VW boxer engine and then agonized over "low readings when hot" to the point that they tried different oils and filters, etc. I don't think any of them found true peace of mind after that. Perhaps the saying "ignorance is bliss" fits here.

Mark

pickle vanagon wrote: > Just to follow up on this earlier message: > Faced with the fact that I have oil pressure well below "good pressure", is > the only prudent thing to do to replace the engine? > (There are no symptoms of problems other than the reading on the gauge.) > > While I've read numerous tales of woe regarding 2.1l with low pressure > failing spectacularly, I haven't really come across accounts of how the > 1.9ls fail. Is it likely to strand us on the side of the road without > warning, or get looser first (which would be easily seen on the pressure > gauge, presumably)? > > ..............