Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Jan 2012 09:05:07 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Need Help with Headlights
Comments: To: Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>

At 06:56 PM 1/3/2012, Robert Stewart wrote: >Need Help Please >1988 Vanagon GL, Rebuilt Engine w 6,000 miles on it. SA Grill Kit, >Upgraded Relay Kit.

Point to or send a diagram for how the relays are wired?

>have no lights, no brights, no low beam, nothing. The high beam >indicator is on no matter if you pull the stalk back or not. Nothing >at all. Pulling the stalk back does not activate the lights. I did >not smell anything burning, nothing popped or made any kind of sound.

The high beam indicator is driven from the right--side high-beam power inside the fuse/relay panel (Bentley 97.127 track 66 up into the panel on internal connection 56a and across to 97.130 track 110 just below the fuse). If it's on all the time then that *strongly* suggests that your high beams are powered all the time and that you're missing a ground.

Do you mean "on all the time" or "on whenever the headlight switch is on regardless of ignition switch position" or what?

>Power Going from the Stalk on the TOP & Middle Connectors of the >turn signal unit. I also get a power signal on the left side of the >stalk connector.

Wire colors/terminal numbers please?

>The turn signal worked [works?] fine when the lights are off but >since this recent issue the turn signal when signaling to the right >just causes the turn signal light to stay on, no flashing or >anything on any of the right side lights. If you turn off the main >headlight switch the turn signals all work just fine. - Strange.

Get the switch out of the picture by unplugging it. Use jumpers on the connector to simulate the action of the two switches (dimmer switch 97.130 track 104-5, turn signal 97.131 track 116-7).

Side note: I had a mechanic friend of mine wire the low beams to be grounded directly from the headlight wiring at the bulbs, it worked on both bulbs for a week then the drivers side light stopped working. I checked the bulb and it looked perfect, the ground was still intact. Very strange indeed.

A voltmeter is your friend here. The voltage has to get to the light at system voltage, be expended across the light filament and exit the light at ground voltage. If you see zero volts at the power side of the light it's a supply problem. If you see +12 on the ground side it's a ground problem. If you have +12 on one side and 0 on the other it's a bum light.

Bob, you've got a strange and conflicting set of symptoms. My suspicion is that there's an issue with the relay wiring, possibly including wires melted together inside the harness; but the only real solution is going to be to get out there with the Bentley diagrams and a voltmeter and track it down. If you can't read the diagrams you're in trouble, so start on 97.4-5 where they explain how to read them. Then go to my article at http://www.vanagonwiki.net/wiki/Wiring_diagram_improvement to learn how to decode what you're looking at. We can help some, but you or someone is going to be spending some quality time out there with bell, book and candle I mean voltmeter. You might consider this an insurmountable opportunity. If you haven't got one, a little torpedo heater like this one from Lowes http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=154996-88644-RMC-FA60L&catalogId=10051&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=3255484 will take some of the sting out of it.

Yours, David