Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Jan 2012 08:38:26 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil recommendations simplified--morphed to camping/Big Bend

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 6:30 PM, Jeff Schwaia <vw.doka@gmail.com> wrote:

> Uh oh... another "what constitutes camping" thread! > > Tent vs. Westy vs Westy with A/C vs Small Motorhome vs Big Motorhome > > Who will win? >

Well golly....it's past Friday, but I was out of electronic touch for Friday...."camping" in my little Vanagon.

I would propose that staying somewhere in a motorhome with pop-out rooms and automatic leveling systems, with washer and dryer aboard, with two or three TVs and multiple generators...that should not even be considered as camping...How could it? You could maybe say "RVing", maybe.....but that is kinda a big stretch of the definition when the footprint of the larger RV exceeds that of a 3bdrm house and garage in a normal subdivision.... When you pay near $100 per night for a spot in a RV resort and have a neighbor less than 10 feet away in HIS RV....that is probably not camping. We in vanagons are the 'bottom fish'....We aren't even noticed, except maybe in pity, by the well-funded RV set. Are those folks "camping"?.....If so, then when I am at home on my little place in the Northwest with my 2000' house and shop....I guess I am camping, too....only my 'camper' has fewer wheels than some of the Prevost coaches....but then it cost less, including the barn and the shop and the riding arena, and it has fewer TVs... I think 'camping' is defined as 'staying mostly outdoors'.....if you spend all day 'inside' an RV.....is that camping? ..

Don Hanson