Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Jan 2012 18:31:28 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: BBB and more (Topack Canyon boating?)
Comments: To: Ken Wyatt <57skibum@gmail.com>

I did this 2 times in a kayak back in '68 (I was 14) with the Boy Scout Troop I belonged to and as a family vacation two years later, both during the week before Easter and from Bullhead City, AZ. A fun trip. Just remember when you get to the lake the current disappears and there's a lot of paddling to do before you reach Windsor Park. When going thru the "elbows" of the gorge, keep in mind the currents are strong (no rapids), but be on alert so you don't hit the shore line in the wrong places. That's about as much as my diminishing memory allows me to recollect. I've wanted to do that again someday, but not this trip. Camping was allowed just south of Topock/I-40 Bridge on the California side in certain spots, but that may be all different now.

-- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" 75 914 1.8 "Nancy" Full Timing Since March 1999 oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com Find me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Jim-Thompson/100000710343835 ***********************************

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Ken Wyatt <57skibum@gmail.com> wrote: > The recent snow this morning here in Salt Lake makes me really look forward > to BBB this week.  As a side note I was wondering if anyone on the list or > those going to BBB has ever done any canoeing and/or kayaking through > Topack Canyon.  My girlfriend has mentioned doing a winter canoe trip here > sionce I met her.  So I am considering tossing the canoe atop the westy and > perhaps doing the Colorado River from US 40 to Lake Havasu while at Buses > By the Bridge.  Anyone have any first hand info?  I realize its a National > Wildlife Management Area and there are no fires and no overnight camping > allowed.  I thinks its about 14 miles +/-.  Anyone do this or have > interest....  Would be a great day adventure with a Vanagon shuttle to the > put-in. > > CHEERS! > Ken Wyatt > 82 westy