Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Jan 2012 17:46:52 -0500
From:         Jim Akiba <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sound systems (yet again)
Comments: To: Derek Drew <derekdrew@derekmail.com>

Let us know how the alpine amp sounds, those class D digital ones have been getting better and slowly making their way out of powered sub boxes and into fullrange applications slowly but surely. I'm curious to hear about how you like it, the specs are good.

My girlfriend just bought me a pair of front speakers for Christmas, and I'm also now considering configurations for the rest of things. I think for now I'm going to replace the little plastic hang-down guys with something about as small, but much better and make them so they can swivel.

There are also lot's of low profile subs kicking around these days that might make good candidates for existing spaces, but I'm not sure how most of them are setup and if free-air use is possible. It's usually easier and more efficient to get want you want with a box... but I don't think it would be impossible to do otherwise given that your main goal (and mine) is to not take up any additional space for a box. I may play with some free-air subs in the rear hatch or driver's side panel areas, but my immediate plan for some thump is to use a pair of 50w tactile transducers I already have attached to the front seat backs. I have no need to bump around town, and tactile transducers really can produce a nice result without huge amps or high SPLs.

Anyhow the thought of boxes made for low profile subs for the vans has crossed my mind as well, they could be pretty simple in micro-ply kit form... such a project would never pay for itself, but if I was going to do it anyways... might be a fun distraction (honestly the very last thing I need), but I want good sound for once! I'm done with the factory cassette deck with missing knob, blown out rears and 3" paper cone fronts. I think my cellphone sometimes sounds better.

I have gotten nowhere but frustrated looking at head units. I think I'll just go for something under $120 as long as it has front aux in and doesn't have a light show as it's major redeeming feature.

Jim Akiba