Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Jan 2012 18:02:47 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need Help with Headlights
Comments: To: Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>

That FLAPS yellow fuse tester was probably working just fine. When you lose a common ground for things that get feed from multiple sources the bad ground will effectively put both loads in series as the circuit tries to complete to the other open switch or fuse. The voltage you saw on the load side of the fuse was the voltage going into one filament and without the ground tried to flow through the other stopping at the open fuse. The tester saw the voltage on both side so it did not indicate the open fuse. I would still upgrade the headlight grounds near the sockets. You obviously wanted brighter lights (relay kit) so improving this terrible ground arrangement will also help.

Something's to consider. The Chassis really is not a ground, it is a common connection point. Outside a battery electrons are actually flowing from negative to positive. This really makes the chassis the source.

Dennis