Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Jan 2012 12:08:53 -0500
From:         Steven Shelton <shelton4@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Fwd: Oil in Coolant

On my '85 Camper, with the passenger side head drain open, rear lower than the front and bleeders open, about 10 quarts of the 18.4 quart capacity drains out. If you want to do a full flush, multiple draining is necessary. Between each draining, the engine must reach operating temperature to open the thermostat and mix the old mixture with fresh water. Each draining cycle removes some of the old coolant, but it will mathematically never be fully drained. Here's approximately the cumulative percentage of old coolant lost with each draining cycle: 1st: 55%, 2nd: 80%, 3rd: 90%, 4th: 96%. It's time consuming but not difficult to do.

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> Date: Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 9:55 AM Subject: Re: Oil in Coolant To: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com

Truly flushing the cooling system requires some disassembly and/or an awful lot of water. Keep in mind that as you put water into the system you should be collecting what comes out and disposing of it properly. There are drains on the bottom of the heads to help drain the engine. Disconnecting the radiator hoses up front is the only way to really empty the lines and radiator. Disconnecting the heater hoses and compressed air to get the stuff out of there. Avoid the temptation to drive with straight water. Cylinder wall and stud erosion start quickly without the coolant additives. Test the system to make sure it is holding pressure when done.

Dennis