Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Jan 2012 18:20:38 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 5 speed
Comments: To: ralph meyermann <ralphmeyermann@GMAIL.COM>

48 mice-power engine ........ you bet that's low power. I have for sale.. and extremely well persevered, not dented, non-rusted 82 Sunroof DV with rebuilt stock engine ( with a few engine upgrades for longevity and practicality ) ..

driving it is like this.. getting up to 30mph seems to take a loooong time .. it's running very right too. I can even shift into 4th at 35mph.. and she'll just keep pulling nicely and acclerating. ... ..even sllightly uphill.

once I'm at 45 or so ..she's hit her stride ..and works nicely. but it's that getting up to 30mph that seems to take twice as long as in any 'normal' car.

1.6 TD's are not like that. 1.9's and 1.9TD's are not like that either ... and in all cases you need a better trans than the stock DZ 4 speed. there's a rare DM that is slighlty better also. Never have seen one in a Westy though.

I don't know what they were ( not ) thinking because putting in an ultra low geared trans barely helps at all. it's exactly as if a 'real top gear' is missing.. you get to 52 mph in 4th.. oh...it feels and sounds exactly like it's time to shift...ran out of power in that gear, so time to shift. OOOPS.. I've been in top gear since 35 or 40 mph. It's just dumb. they are fine around 45 and 50 .. 58 is the top reasonable cruise speed. and 'not that bad' on the level once up to 40 mph ..it's the getting there that's a bear. Other cars don't even know what to think.. they're at 30 across the intersection (almost ) and you're at 10mph across the intersection. and need half a block to hit 35. Save all pennies for a better trans and engine. the DK is fine btw... could be better...but for what you get for what you pay ..vast improvement. then the only 3 pre-chamber engines, in diesel, to consider are .. 1.6 TD . 1.9 NA and 1.9 TD.

scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "ralph meyermann" <ralphmeyermann@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:46 PM Subject: Re: 5 speed