Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jan 2012 11:09:57 -0800
From:         Jeff <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 5sp

It's important to note that there are many different ratios for the T3 5-speed transmissions. For instance, my first 5-speed had a 1st gear very similar to a standard 4-speed (only 8% different). You definitely did not start in 2nd gear. Many people running 5-speeds in the USA are using older transmissions from diesels. Those trannies had the higher ratio R&P (5.43 v 4.83). In that transmission, 1st gear is pretty low.

Cheers,

Jeff