Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Jan 2012 11:14:52 -0800
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Position Cat In Line With Vanagon Body? Heat Questions. Pics.
Comments: To: OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@comcast.net>

Thanks much DeanB

Have been, will be, modelling exhaust a la the DV, but DV has no cat. On previous exhaust, I made a support from d-side exhaust bracket to mid cat.

image of bracket. Used "U" clamp:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-AzAJJSWyFmE/TmP372TReuI/AAAAAAAAFQ4/P-YGhfJCcRA/s720/CatBraceRearView.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--0eAOApcCNk/TmP37bX0srI/AAAAAAAAFQ0/c3VET9hCWhc/s720/CatBraceSideView.jpg

Not the bracket I used, and hanger deleted, but gives idea of where new bracket was positioned and how much longer arm needs to be to meet at cat inlet:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-B3Ackj_sCv0/TmFksnl8nQI/AAAAAAAAFQk/mSo_eDxjDVU/s720/CatToEngineBracket3.jpg

Would prefer to support cat at inlet. Given that this is a 15˚ install, doing this would cantilever arm too far away from engine IMO.

Theory: cat inline with body, flex bushing at each end, wear/tear (sacrificial) item hopefully only the post cat bushing. (not much $). Muffler would be supported at 2 points, like DV, and would not be affected as much by engine vibrations.

If cat + flex bushing + muffler + tailpipe not too long, may mount cat in stock position, but still support muffler at 2 points. (a la DV). Regardless of where cat mounted, may add support from engine to cat or near cat.

Neil. Method to my madness below.

Part of my madness is to make the 2.0 in 15˚ position more viable. The 2.0 block was used in quite a few models/years. I *think* Motronic OBD1 or OBD2 could be used on any 2.0 8V block. In terms of exhaust downpipe etc., am trying out stock Mk4 (2000 New Beetle) down pipe etc., to see how well it fits. Theory being that these parts on a donor may be in better shape than, say, a mid 90's Jetta.

In my wildest dreams, a different intake manifold could be fabricated and mounted on p-side of engine to help keep engine lid height lower. The coolant expansion bottle, coil, to p-side could likely be moved to d-side to open up room for intake. Further to those wildest dreams, if one used as many stock Mk3 or Mk4 parts possible, maybe someone else could run with the ball and get it approved for use in CA..... if that hasn't already been done. I don't know. To that end am in the middle of making a new carrier. It won't run under the oil pan, will use Audi 5000 hydro mounts. But. This design may only allow room for PS pump at most. AC compressor likely not. Anyhow......

There is some kind of method to my madness. ;)

Neil.

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 10:17 AM, OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@comcast.net> wrote: >                Neil > >        I've had mine in that approximate location for about 2 Years 1 Month > & 32000 Miles & it > > seems to work out just fine. I have considered putting a Shield on it for > S'&G'Traffic & TallDryGrass > > but it is still on the ToDoList. I'll take some photos tomorrow & let you > know when I post them. > >                                                        ORR ~ DeanB > > > > On 13 Jan , 2012, at 6:36 PM, neil n wrote: > >> Hi all. >> >> Not sure if I'll do this but..... >> >> Images showing mockup of what I plan to do: >> >> >> https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-5MtS78X7fk8/TxDW4vF7-8I/AAAAAAAAAPY/WZUvmGe-DBI/s720/Cat%252520Position%252520%252526%252520Support.jpg >> >> >> https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--LXH13A2CeE/TxDW4taYBKI/AAAAAAAAAPo/aQvIJhiDfM8/s720/Cat%252520Position%2525202.jpg >> >> >> https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7JliLll2MOw/TxDW4uGk3LI/AAAAAAAAAPc/5H2cWgu8S6k/s720/Downpipe%252520to%252520Cat%252520%25252090.jpg >> >> If 90˚ bend (not shown) about 4" away from tire and shock, is there >> any great risk of heat damaging tire or shock? (stop and go traffic) >> >> I can't see how, but if anyone sees this cat position as a risk (e.g. >> igniting tall grass), please share your thoughts. >> >> Seems to me the perforated shield is there to help prevent that but >> I'm not sure. >> >> Thanks, >> >> Neil. >> -- >> Neil n >> >> 65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly  http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp >> >> '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"  http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ >> >> Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group: >> >> >> http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines > >