Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Jan 2012 08:58:18 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: floppy clutch, unable to shift when the engine is on
Comments: To: Kendra Calhoun <kendracalhoun@GMAIL.COM>

I know it is no longer Friday. I don't know your age, driving, auto experience etc. but you maybe have to do some learning here. I also don't know what you paid for this van. I don't think you were "had" as much as you did not do your homework or have realistic expectations. You purchased a 30 year old vehicle and expected to just get in it and drive! Not only that but you want to drive it long distances. Then you do not have the resources to do repairs. Regardless of mileage and running ability at purchase you are going to be in for some surprises. I am willing to bet that if a good inspection was to be done there will be a list of work that is needed before a long trip. A clutch is a wear item just like brakes. Yes more expensive due to labor but a real brake job can get costly also. Of course I have to ask how new is the engine really and why didn't it get a new clutch with at least the slave cylinder? You may also find that something else broke like the clutch arm. If you can't afford a clutch job near home what are your plans if break down on the road? What if you get in an accident?

Some of my rules: All used vehicles for sale are being sold because they are no longer wanted. You need to know why. Especially true if current owner only had it for a short time or if it is being resold for profit. Since purchase price is often part or buyers expectations, whatever is paid it is often just the down payment. Low mileage is not always a good thing. Age and mileage do matter. Low mileage vehicles often mean long idle periods due to lack of maintenance.

For all used vehicles pre purchase or plan to service soon check list: 1) Tires, Age, condition, correct type. I often find the tires will tell the story of the rest of the vehicle. A good vehicle for sale will not be in need of tires. 2) Brakes and suspension. No matter how nice it may run stopping and steering are real important. Any suspension bushing that has not been changed will most likely need to be. On the Vanagon lower control arm bushings and the radius rod mounts are big labor items. Your van probably needs them. For brakes it is likely the rotors are cut to thin and the drums are oversized. They need to be inspected. When was the last time the wheel bearings were serviced? Was the brake fluid ever changed? 3) Chassis and body. Some will say check this first but if it is a total rust bucket or a collision wreck you would have stopped looking anyway, I am talking about a more detailed inspection looking for future problems. 4) Fluids. What condition is the oil, coolant, brake fluid, etc. in. Plan to change all unless the seller just did it and you know it was really done. Consider oil and coolant analysis. 5)Engine compression-leak down and oil pressure. 6) Cooling system. Is it functioning correctly? Air cooled engines are often missing critical pieces including the thermostat and related parts. Low temp thermostats on water cooled is a sign of something being masked. This includes the heater(s). Are there any antifreeze or for air cooled engine fumes inside. 7) Exhaust. Exhaust repairs can become quite costly. 8) Interior. What condition is everything in? Does everything work.

My hope is that some of this is helpful. My real concern is what can happen once on the road far from home. Especially if you have others traveling with you as you have some responsibilities and liabilities there. I hope you manage to go on your journey and enjoy it.

The good thing is that this is a vehicle you can learn to work on and with minimal space and tools. I think most of the folks on this list do much of their own work. For any old vehicle you need to pursue this or plan to spend regular money. If you need repairs on the road you can be looking $100/hour. Many repairs can be done roadside or parking lot. Having tools will be most helpful. Knowledge is also good even when at a shop. Get a Bentley manual and consider a subscription to alldatadiy.com

Dennis